Here are some responses that I am still trying to figure out when I ask a prospective suitor what he does for a living:
1. “Oh, I am unemployed.” Really, that is a job … being unemployed?
2. “I make my money by betting on baseball and football games.” I laugh. Surely, he is joking. That’s funny! I say. “I hope you don’t mind that I am in Vegas every other week for my job. I am a professional Sports Bettor. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a 401K plan.” Next please!
3. “I am a house painter.” Oh, that’s great. Seems like there is always someone who is getting their house painted. I have a friend who needs all of her bedrooms painted. ‘Oh no, I don’t paint interiors. Only exteriors.” Really? Why? Isn’t is similar? “I just do exteriors. Sorry.” OK, so much for thinking outside the box … er, house … er, box.
4. “I travel.” Great. But what do you every day to pay the bills? “I don’t have to work. I can just travel.” I wish I could do that … lucky you. But, what did you do before you embarked on traveling? “Does it matter? I work at … traveling.”
5. “I left my job and am going back to Graduate School.” Great. Will you work while you are getting your advanced degree? “No.” Not sure where to go after that response.
6. “I’m a lawyer.” What kind? “Oh, I don’t practice law, I just have the degree.” Then why say you are a lawyer if that is not what you actually do? Just askin ….
7. “A doctor … physician … ” That is certainly a profession of conviction and passion … and compassion. “It can be.” What kind of physician? “Does it matter? I don’t want to get too complicated for you.” Complicated, really? My brother is a physician and I am an engineer … I think I can understand. Ego … no thanks!
8. “I am an executive consultant for Global Business Management Systems Development.” Impressive sounding but say, whah?
And just in case you were wondering … I am a technical salesperson = I sell technical products. Simple, right?